Main content

Title: John James Murphy to Martin Murphy, 11 March 1878
CollectionArgentina - Murphy
SenderMurphy, John James
Sender Gendermale
Sender Occupationcattle breeder
Sender Religionunknown
OriginBuenos Aires, Argentina
DestinationHaysland, Co. Wexford, Ireland
RecipientMurphy, Martin
Recipient Gendermale
Doc. No.
Partial Date
Doc. Type
Word Count1094
Genrefamily, acquaintances, local economy, lawsuit, payments
TranscriptBs. Ayres, Calle Parque 587

My Dear Brother Martin,
Yours of January 31st enclosing one from James February 1st duly came to hand, and am glad to see that all Friends are well, and that the cash I sent each time has been duly received and disposed of entirely to my satisfaction. As I have to answer James' letter also, it leaves me little to say in this to you, as all matters referring to James business here will be in his letter and of course open to you to partake of whatever interest you may take in knowing its contents. I had a letter from Brother Patt a few days since. He tell me that William Breene has entered into James Pender's puesto, interested in the flock that James's sheep is in. I hope he may do well. He has a good chance, if not his own fault. It is most unfavourable time for sending home money from this Country, and James & Whitty must be prepared to loose merely 1/3 by the rate of exchange and gold to day. It may be a little more favourable or unfavourable by the 14th, when I intend to take out the Bill to send by the Mail of 15th. The £ sterling to day is 157 dollars. Two years ago it was only 125 dollars. So you see the difference. Of course James instructions has limited me to time. Consequently, I can not speculate on the chance of holding on in the expectation of rates being more favourable, but this either I could not do as the wisest men in the market are blind to future, and some has lost fortunes in a few days because of having considered themselves more clever and far seeing than other people. Consequently, I am glad that James has left me no choice but to send his cash by first mail in order that it reach there by the 1st of May next. I have adopted your suggestion as to disposing of James's sheep, and have wrote out to Patt for his opinion as to the price and the general terms which I proposed as the base of our settlement. Having written at extreme length in my previous letters have me nothing to add to what I said regarding the buying a place, or you suggesting to me some other means of doing for you. I hold back some of Whitty's money, as there is still some Notaries & Attorneys still pretending claims against the property for their costs, which claims (though just) I object to accept on the plea that they have to proceed against M. Quinn for all costs, which he is obliged to pay according to the sentence of the Courts. This question is still open, hence my object for holding one part of the cash. James Pender I am told is going Home. He has did pretty well for his time with me. In Camp business the discount on paper and the premium on Gold do not affect it so much as other, as of course they get more paper dollars for their produce now than they could expect if Gold was at a lower rate than it is, that is if paper money was at the old rate of 125 dollars to £ sterling. Wool would be selling at about $60, and sheep that is now selling at 40 would only being about 30 or 35 dollars each, hence the former lose little by the rise or fall in Gold. The fluctuation of it from one day to the other is the greatest drawback and cause an unsteadiness in the market. I sent you papers by last Mail, in which you can see the increase in our families out here. We are all progressing favourably, thanks God. There is none can judge, nor has a better right to know than James, whether he ought to sell Ballyconnor or not, and even though I were disposed to offer an opinion on the subject, his decided determination should have prevented me from offering any, as I think he could better than any other arrive at a wise, and most likely the best conclusion for his Family's good and future happiness. The Lawsuit about the Pacheco land is now soon to be settled. The Pachecos, rather than risk the expense and the chance of it proceeding through the Tribunals, has proposed to us to leave the deciding the Case to some well known Lawyer approved of by both sides. This we have accepted, so the Case will soon be settled one way or the other, as there is no appeal. This has been and continue to be the rainest season we have had here for many years, all through the summer. The Langostas has also left the Camps delightfully hard in all the partidos around about Salto, and from the late rains these are sure to be the best camps all through the winter. March 14th, I enclose you the First of Exchange for one hundred and sixty five pounds sterling, £165. This draft cost in paper money 156 ¾ to the £ sterling, wherein the draft last November cost only 146 per £ sterling, so you see from the sum sent in paper money this draft should have been over 177 £ sterling according to the rate of exchange last November. The costs in this case is still hanging back and it's not easy say yet whether it's me or M. Quinn will finally have to pay them. If I can get out of paying them it will through about $10,000 in Whitty's and Cullen's share, which will be sent them as soon as decided. James's bill go in his own letter. I will send the two second of exchange soon after. $25,882 dollars at foot of bill is the amount of paper money paid for it. I had it inserted these for Whitty's satisfaction. James's bill amount to £214-10s all told. I have paid him 40 dollars each for his sheep. I charge him at the same rate as I charge Patt, 10% per annum in case he choose to redeem them. At this interest they will clear themselves in about 7 years according to the past five years. All join me in sending kind love to all. I will send second of Exchange by Mail of 20th for fear of disappointment to James. I remain your affectionate Brother,

I send a paper also,