Main content

Title: Moses Hazen, La Prarie, To Commissioners of Congress, Montreal
CollectionIrish Emigration Database
FileHazen, Moses/59
SenderHazen, Moses
Sender Gendermale
Sender Occupationarmy officer
Sender Religionunknown
OriginLa Prairie, Quebec, Canada
DestinationMontreal, Quebec, Canada
RecipientCommissioners of Congress
Recipient Gendermale
Relationshiparmy officer writes to people in the government
SourceT 1023/124: Obtained From Percival Maxwell, Finnesbrogue, Downpatrick Co Down.
ArchiveThe Public Record Office, Northern Ireland.
Doc. No.9510168
Partial Date
Doc. TypeLET
LogDocument added by LT, 20:10:95.
Word Count418
Transcript[----?] La Prairie 24 May 1776

Sir [stained] you I have been with G. Arnold at [Lafhine?]
came from [Caughnawaga?] this morning. There is certain
intelligence that the Enemy is at Point Clair 3 miles only above
G. Arnolds Post which is now so well fortified that we have to fear
from the place. The great point now is to cut off the retreat of
the enemy and in such a manner as to save our Prisoners which I
think is very practicable.
I have been free in giving G Arnold my opinion on his head, too
tedious here to relate. I have now about 100 of the Militia
Volunteers of the Indian Town, hope to have 4 times that number before
tomorrow noon. Last evening I sent an express from hence
to St. Johns to hurry on the troops that might be on their
March here. But this express is not yet returned. If
the two Canadian Co's of my Reg. are not absolutely wanted in
town I wish they might be ordered
out this afternoon to La Chine, when I shall return this
evening, In which case please send for the Capt. and let them know that
it is my request to you that they are ordered to join their Col.
Wheat may be had in this Parish-we perhaps shall not want much
as I judge this end of the District will be settled in a few
days after which G Arnold is for destroying the Indian Town of
[St Regist?] at the Lake of Two Mountains, But I think we had better
not be in a hurry in doing it as by destroying those villages we shall
be sure of making those Nations our inevitable and durable
enemies, But by saving him we perhaps may regain those Nations to
friendship I would by all means take hold of the Head, I mean the French
& English who have stirred them up. Some kind of Oath of
Neutrality I would advise to be tendered to the Inhabitants
beginning at the Cedars; Pray think on this measure. I wish
you would secure P. [Flougmet?] to act openly in our Interest,
which is really worth attending to- Had we not better take him
under our Protection and not only
indemnify but reward him for the services which I am sure he
is able to render us. I am Persuaded he would not chuse
[choose?] to remain in the Country if we are obliged to leave it.
I have the Honour to be [&c?]
The Honble [Honourable] Comm.
of Congress
at Montreal