Main content

Title: Geo. Mercer, London, England, to R.C. Dobbs, [Location?]
CollectionIrish Emigration Database
FileMercer, Geo/40
SenderMercer, George
Sender Gendermale
Sender Occupationbusinessman
Sender Religionunknown
OriginLondon, England
DestinationCo. Antrim?, N.Ireland?
RecipientDobbs, R.C.
Recipient Gendermale
SourceD162/91: Presented by Major A.F. Dobbs, Castle Dobbs, Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim
ArchiveThe Public Record Office, N. Ireland
Doc. No.9804843
Partial Date
Doc. TypeLET
LogDocument added by LT, 30:04:98.
Word Count1036
TranscriptHallon Street London
May the 28th 1771

Dear Sir
I have had the Pleasure of meeting your Brother, and
we have settled your Affair in the Manner he thought best
for you. I should have wrote you [?] lately, but have been
so torn to Pieces with the Remains of my [Lover?], and the
Beginning of a Rheumatism, that it is but seldom I can find
myself capable of doing Business [?] [?] of Spirits prevents
me from attempting it often, and Pain of my Limbs from
going through with it. Your Brother has determined that it
will be best for you, to take the Money you have advanced
for the Share of the Ohio Company, and quit all farther
Pretensions to it, and [?] I wrote you formerly I would take
it on these Terms, I will still comply with Them - I wished
to do it for the Company; but on Consultation with our [?],
who has been retained for 12 0r 14 Years past, he tells me, I
can not justify giving Interest, or even paying you the
Principal on their Account on [or?] taking your Share at all
on their Risque [Risk?] as the Articles direct, that on
Failure of a Member paying his Proportion, his Share shall be
sold, and he abide by the [?], if any. You see Sir how ready
the Law is to find a Gap for themselves to stop, but as no
one is [?] inclined [to?] [refer?] to it than I am, I will
take the Risque [Risk?] on myself, as the Company have no
Right to find Fault with me for the Disposal of my own Money,
and purchase your Share for my own Account, as I said in my
Lettar [Letter?] I would give you what you advanced; though
at the same Time I did not attend to the Interest, and really
meant to become a Purchaser for the Company, hoping to have
Money of theirs in my Hands, and knowing it would not be a
bad Bargain. The [Treasurer?] [writes?] he could not purchase
good Bills [?] the General Court, and send [sent?] me the
Company, Letter on [Resolution?] of Credit, in attendant; but
as I can not saive [save?] a Shilling here on their Credit, I
am obliged not only to [pay?] out of near œ1000 which I have
already advanced, but expect to be called on this Week for
upwards of œ400 more for the Grant; therefore you see when
the Money does arrive, it will not puzzle a Banker with
keeping an Account of it; an [exclusive?] of your Share, [&?]
my own two, I shall get but œ1700, and reckoning Interest [?]
without any farther Changes, which however can not be but
very [?], my own private Account against Them, with amount to
above œ1600 including the Change of the [?] and W[illia?]m
Hanbury has threatened to attack in my Hands for his Debt
which however I presume is but a revengeful Threat, as his
Shares were ordered to be Sold. This [is?] circumstances,
with Respect to the Company, and as they have drained me
pretty well, and I know not how soon I may be reimbursed, for
when they send me Bills, I suppose them all [good?], they are
never drawn under two Months [Right?] from America I must beg
the Favor of you to allow me some Time of Grace so the Affair
is in quite a unexpected circumstance to [?] and though I
mean not to say, it is solely to oblige you, yet without any
Compliment I will promise if you can find anyone inclinable
to purchase; who will give you more, or even as much, I will
not desire the Preferance [Preference?], having already two
Shares, and as I shall be obliged to account to the Company
after paying you, for the Balance you owed Them. I have told
you very candidly as a Gentleman, and one under obligations
to you for your great [Civiltion?], and obliging Attention
that I think it worth more and that if we had our Grant, it
would in my Opinion be a great Object,and so much I repeat to
you again, and farther engage, that if there has been no
Determination of the King and Council before I hear from you
again, that you still may have your Choice to resume the
Share. I am promised there shall be a Determination on it
this Week, indeed tomorrow was the Day mentioned, though it
was afterwards added certainly some Day in the Week - nor
has any Notice been sent me that Wednesday will not be the
Day. As the Lawyers pretended they could not draw up a
legal assignment from you to me without all the original
Papers, and employing 20 or 30 [?] of Parchment which could
not be finished under the [?] [?] must [?] [?] I have
ventured to [transcribe?] one, which I think agreeable to
common Sense, and I doubt not is as binding as the whole Bench
of Judges could make it - and though it [?] a little of the
Law, I am sure it is more concise than any Limb of the Bar
would have suffered it to be, as they get more [Line?] than
I do [?] for all my writing for the Ohio Company. If you do
not approve of it, make the Alterations you think proper, I
am sure they [there?] will be [some?]. I shall object to -
and what you do approve please to [transcribe?] and
acknowledge before the Mayor of Carrick, as you go there
often; but if that is not conveniant [convenient?], it will
do without an [and?] inclose it to your Brother who will
deliver it to me on my settling the Money Affair with him as
you direct. My best Compliments await on Mrs Dobbs. I am
with Esteem.

Dear Sir

P.S. As it can not possibly
make any Difference to you, if you mean
to sell me your Share, I would wish
you to date the Assignment before
the 23rd of May, as you [observe?] the
[Article?] [here?] entered into that Day
were [was?] to subt [subsist?] 20 years.

Your most obliged and obedient Servant
Geo [George?]