Main content

Title: John Caldwell Senior to John Caldwell Junior
CollectionIrish Emigration Database
FileCaldwell, John Sr/27
SenderCaldwell, John Sr.
Sender Gendermale
Sender Occupationlinen merchant
Sender Religionunknown
OriginCo. Antrim, N.Ireland
DestinationNew York, USA
RecipientCaldwell, John Jr
Recipient Gendermale
SourceT 3541/2/1-4: Deposited by Mrs. R.V.T. Edie
ArchiveThe Public Record Office, Northern Ireland.
Doc. No.9309352
Partial Date
Doc. TypeEMG
LogAction By Date Document added by C. R., 30:09:1993
Word Count438
care of Messrs William Nielson & Co.
New York

Harmonyhill 22 Oct. 1798
My Dear Dear John
I have not heard whether the Pallas be yet sailed from Larne... but am happy
to find she was in Harbour on Wednesday night last - we had here a terrible
I wrote you a short letter by the Robert of L.Derry [Londonderry?] & sent
you by her a pack of brown 3/4 addressed to Wm. [William?] Nielson & Co. of
New York to hand over to you on arrival... I trust you will be there to
receive it your self...you have annexed a Copy of the Inv'ce [Invoice?] Amt.
[amount?] to ú88...1... at your debit.... I have by this Conveyance the Draper
Cap't [Captain?] Collins from Dublin sent W. Nielson and Co. 2 bills of
Lading. Tom Chambers is so good as not to charge you any freight. I think to
write your friend Mr... Boyd of London to Insure the Amo't [amount?]. No
answer yet to my letter to R. Jameson nor has Messrs Kernan yet remitted Mr.
Wilson the ú300.
I went on Saturday to Colerain [Coleraine?] to speak to Lord Henry Murray to
prolong the time of my stay... but unfortunately I was disappointed of seeing
him- he had on Wednesday last gone on board a small half-decked Vessel with
his wife [Torn] Mrs. Tobin & Cap't [Captain?] Christain to go to Loughswilly
[Stained] [Stained] ][Stained] et prizes that were reported to have been cass
for. The storm came on that night and great fears are his safety.
He has not been heard of since, nor did he reach Loughswilly. I would have
applied tho' [although?] indeed reluctantly to Colonel Small but in the morning
the Town was all in confusion from a report the French were about to land on
the Coast about Pt. [Point?] Ballinbray, but it turned out to be some English
Vessel that were seen in the Channell [Channel?]... I shall however apply to
him on to morrow. I should not have delayed my application so long but that I
wish'd the advertizement [advertisement?] for sale of my property first to
appear & John Parks unaccountable delay in returning here retarded its
publication. I fear to myself the hand bills will appear to Morrow & it will
be in the Belfast papers of Tuesday...the Houses & Lands to be sold by Auction
on the 5th of Novr. [November?] & Proposals for thebleach [the bleach?] green
etc. to be received until the 10th. -Andy got safe to Dublin on Wednesday....
Anxious will I be to hear of your safe arrival- I pray my God to protect my
three dear boys.*
ever, ever yrs. [yours?]
The Pallas did sail but, after stormy days at sea, returned to Ireland
John and William (9 yrs [years?] old) finally sailed on May 3rd, 1799 on the
brig PEGGY. Also other members of the C. family.

* Richard, John + William (Andrew was still in Ireland) had sailed